Whether I’m getting dressed up for a party or wanting to add a little fun to my winter wardrobe, I’m loving the pom-pom sweaters that are filling the stores right now. I love any little detail that can take a sweater from an everyday item to a more noticeable statement piece — and how much more gratifying is it to achieve the look at home?
No need to break the bank for this fun trend — let’s take that sweater from plain to pom-pom on our own!
DIY Pom-Pom Sweater
- Sweater (any sweater that you don’t mind altering)
- 1-inch pom-poms; you can use any type, but I used these
- Thread in the color of your sweater
- Sewing pins (optional)
- With the sweater right-side out, place all of the pom-poms on the areas you want them. This is a good way to have a preview of what your finished project will look like, so don’t skip this step.
- If you want your pom-poms to match exactly, go ahead and pin them into place on the sweater. If you’re looking for a more random design, you don’t have to pin the pom-poms before sewing.
- Turn the sweater inside out. With your needle and thread, begin sewing the pom-poms on, one by one.
- When sewing on the pom-poms, take your needle straight through the middle of the pom-pom for the best results. Tie the thread in a double knot to secure the pom-poms into place and clip the ends.
- Find a party and show off your new sweater!
TIP: You can place the pom-poms just on the arms of the sweater (like I did — see photo) or all over. You can even embellish right around the neckline or the hem of the sweater for another fun look. Get creative!